EXPAND Click Board
The EXPAND Click Board is an add-on board featuring a Microchip MCP23S17 16-bit I/O expander with SPI clock speeds up to 10 MHz for higher rate of production of applications. For board address configuration, it uses three HARDWARE ADDRESS SEL jumpers that also allows for connection with up to eight devices on the bus. The interrupt-on-change feature is also supported by the controller. EXPAND click uses the SPI communication interface for communication with the on-board port expander. The 16 bidirectional I/O port bits are divided into two 8-bit ports (PORTA and PORTB). The user can choose to configure MCP23S17 to operate in the 8-bit or 16-bit mode. Acting as bidirectional I/Os, all the pins can be enabled for internal weak pull-up resistor and/or interrupt-on-change.
With these features, this board is an ideal choice for saving microcontroller pins, and expanding the number of input-output lines. EXPAND click board is designed to use a 3.3V power supply in the default position. For use with 5V systems, solder the PWR SEL SMD jumper to 5V position.
Note: For using I2C instead of SPI, check out the Expand 2 click using the MCP23S17 IC.
- Based on the MCP23S17 16- bit I/O expander
- Supports up to 10MHz SPI clock speeds
- Three hardware address pins to allow up to eight devices on the bus
- Configurable interrupt output pins
- Supported by all mikroElektronika compilers
- Selectable hardware address using SMD jumpers
- 16 GPIO pins divided into two 8-bit PORTs
- Configurable interrupt source
- 25mA sink/source capability per I/O
- 3.3V and 5V selectable power supply
IC/Module: MCP23S17 16-Bit I/O Expander
The MCP23S17 is a 16-bit I/O expander that supports up to 10MHz SPI clock speeds. It consists of multiple 8-bit configuration registers for input, output and polarity selection. The system master can enable the I/Os as either inputs or outputs by writing the I/O configuration bits (IODIRA/B). Consisting of two 8-bit ports, MCP23S17 module can be operated in the 8-bit or 16-bit modes. .
EXPAND click features four onboard zero-ohm SMD jumpers, which includes three HARDWARE ADDRESS SEL for choosing the device address, and a PWR SEL jumper that enable the user to switch from 3.3V to 5V power supply.
- Expand Click Board (1)
- 1x8 male headers (2)
- Printed User Manual and Board Schematic (1)