Total Phase Aardvark I2C/SPI Host Adapter
The Aardvark™I2C/SPI Host Adapter is a fast and powerful I2C bus and SPI bus host adapter which connects to a host PC by USB. It lets you interface a Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X PC to the I2C or SPI bus of your target hardware so you can test devices connected to the bus and program Flash memory devices.
The Aardvark™ includes the well-known Total Phase Control Center software which makes it easy to control devices connected to an I2C or SPI bus. Automatic testing of your devices can be done by the use of custom-written scripts, making the Aardvark™ ideal for use in the production environment for board testing. Free programming software is also included so Flash devices can also be programmed. The Aardvark™ is often used by third-party device manufacturers in their production processes.
- Fast USB to I2C / SPI master and slave up to 800 KHz. Low cost and versatile
- I2C multi-master support for greater flexibility
- SPI master up to 8 MHz and SPI slave up to 4 MHz
- GPIO with selectable pins for controlling external devices - great for testing!
- Free Control Centre Software included with lifetime free updates - a really good investment
- Compatible with a wide range of specialist bus types (see Details Tab)
- Trusted by electronic and software engineers worldwide
- Integrates well into custom development solutions
- Excellent value
- Quantity discounts available
- The Aardvark adapter is completely field-upgradable via USB
- Ships from UK Stock
- UK Technical Support included
What is an SPI Interface?
The SPI or Serial Peripheral Interface can operate at much faster data rates than the I2C Bus. The Aardvark™ will operate up to 8MHz as a Bus Master.
Each device on the Bus has its own Chip Select Line, activated by the Bus Master. The interface consists of four lines:
- MOSI, or Master Data Output
- MISO, or Master Data Input
- SCLK, or Serial Clock
- NSS, a Slave enabled signal, controlled by the Bus Master, often referred to as Chip Select.
If there any Software Support?
Of course. The Total Phase Aardvark™ connects to a host PC via a Full-speed (USB 1.1 compliant) USB interface. Software Drivers are supplied for Windows. Linux and Mac OS X operating systems. The drivers provide low-level interfaces to control the Aardvark™.
The Aardvark™ is a very versatile interface, capable of being controlled by a range of application software. Total Phase provides ready-to-run applications for device control and memory programming and ready-build interfaces to third-party software such as LabVIEW and your own applications written in C/C++, C#, .NET, Python and Visual Basic.
Control Center Serial Software
The Control Center Serial Software has been developed by Total Phase to support the Aardvark™ I2C/SPI, Cheetah™ SPI Interface, and PROMIRA™ Serial Platform.
The software allows you to create high-level scripts for reading and writing to devices via the Aardvark™. I2C and SPI messages can also be downloaded for subsequent analysis and data patterns loaded for transmission over the interface under script-control.
The software is regularly updated and supplied free of charge by Total Phase for download.
Flash Center Software
The Total Phase Flash Center software allows you to read, program, erase and erase a wide range of I2C and SPI-based EEPROMS and Flash memory devices.
The software is fully compatible with the Aardvark™ I2C/SPI Interface, Cheetah™ SPI Interface and PROMIRA™ Serial Platform.
Fast Programming Speeds
Programming using the Aardvark™ is very cost-effective when programming smaller devices. When programming larger SPI devices, we recommend using the Cheetah™ High-speed SPI Interface.
Gang Programming Support
Multiple Aardvark™s can be connected to a single PC allowing parallel programming for larger production runs.
Are New Devices Support
Of course, Total Phase supports the most common devices out of the box. If you need support for a new or more obscure device then it is easy to import an XML-based configuration file from the device manufacturer so you can start programming without delay.
The Aardvark™ LabVIEW Driver is a free, open-sourced LabVIEW Instrument Driver supporting LabVIEW 2017 and later. Older versions of Labview are also supported by downloading a suitable driver.
Rosetta Language Bindings
The Rosetta Language Bindings support application software written in C/C++. C#, .NET, Python and Visual Basic 6.
These allow custom applications to be written by you to give full-control over your Aardvark™ I2C/SPI interface.
Can my Aardvark™ be Upgraded?
Yes, The Aardvark™firmware is stored in internal Flash Memory, which can be updated, free of charge when new firmware is released by Total Phase.
Total Phase offers this free service which secures your investment in their products.
Who else uses the Aardvark™
The Total Phase Aardvark™ has been the number one choice of system developers worldwide since the early 2000s; used by major electronics companies worldwide as part of their in-house development and test activities and frequently shipped with development kits and evaluation platforms to worldwide semiconductor clients.
You can feel confident that by choosing the Aardvark™ I2C/SPI Host Adapter, you will have made the right choice, like many other major electronics players before you.
The Total Phase Aardvark™I2C/SPI Interface is the perfect debugging tool for every developer working with the I2C or SPI bus. This interface is a powerful and efficient tool that works on I2C and SPI bus services and allows developers to connect it with Windows, Mac OS or Linux run computer systems via a fast USB connection. This interface allows users to downstream embedded system environment and transmits serial messages to the computer using SPI or I2C protocols.
The USB interface also provides scheduled updates of this adapter and makes this tool future-proof whilst being field-installable. The Total Phase Aardvark™ I2C/SPI Interface is a cost-effective debugging tool and very efficient for companies and organisations that are planning to increase their productivity.
- True 800 kbps performance over higher bandwidth USB versus slower RS-232
- Supports standard mode (100 kbps) and fast (400 kbps) mode as well as various speeds ranging from 1 kHz to 800 kHz
- Supports inter-bit and inter-byte clock stretching
- Supports multi-master
- Master transmit and receive
- Asynchronous slave transmit and receive
- Software configurable I2C pull-up resistors
- Software configurable target power pins to power downstream devices
- Repeated Start, 10-bit slave addressing, and Combined Format transactions
- Operates in master or slave mode
- Up to 8 Mbps master signaling rate
- Up to 4 Mbps slave signaling rate
- Full duplex master transmit/receive
- Asynchronous slave transmit/receive
- Software configurable target power pins to power downstream devices
- Software configurable Slave Select (SS) polarity in master mode
GPIO - General Purpose I/O
- I2C and SPI pins can be repurposed for more general use, allowing them to be used for custom signals on target system.
- GPIO functionality can also be combined with I2C or SPI to interact with your target system.
- GPIO configuration is cached internally to preserve settings between operational mode
Compatible with Other Interfaces
The Aardvark™ I2C/SPI Interface can also be used to drive other interface types including:.
- Display Data Channel (DDC)
- System Management Bus (SMBus)
- Power Management Bus (PMBus)
- Smart Battery Bus (SBBus)
- Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI)
- Two-Wire Interface (TWI)
Using an USB to I2C Host Interface and I2C Bus Analyser to Prototype Embedded Systems
Programming an I2C EEPROM using a USB to I2C Adapter
Yes, we offer discounted prices for 5 or more units. We can also offer an OEM customising/branding service for orders of 100 or more units
We have customers who incorporate the Aardvark into their own applications. Here are a few examples:
- Development tools for new silicon with I2C or SPI interfaces
- Programmers for memory devices in a production environment
- Test interfaces for development boards
- Total Phase Aardvark USB to I2C/SPI Host Adapter (1)
- 1.8m (6ft) USB A->B cable (1)
- Latest Software included on Flash Stick (1)
- Protective Carrying Case (1)