Thunder Click Board
Add a lightning sensor to the design with the Thunder Click Board. This add-on measurement board incorporates AS3935 Franklin lightning detector IC and MA5532 coil antenna.
For communication with the target board microcontroller, Thunder click uses the MikroBUS SPI (MOSI, MISO, SCK, CS) and INT lines. The board is designed to use 3.3V or 5V power supply, selectable via SMD jumper.
Thunder click is designed to detect the existence and proximity of potentially hazardous lightning activity within a 40km radius. Thunder click is also capable of providing an estimation of the distance to the head of the storm from 40km away down to 1km in 14 steps, while rejecting disturbances from man-made signals, such as motors and microwave ovens. It can also provide information on the noise level, which makes it an ideal choice for weather stations, sports equipment, UPS, power line conditioners, smart grid systems, environmental monitoring systems, portable GPS, bike computers, etc.Thunder click provides detection of both cloud-to-ground and cloud-to-cloud lightning activity within a 40km range.
- Based on the AMS AS3935 Lightning Sensor
- Coilcraft MA5532-AE Coil Antenna
- Lightning detector warns of lightning storm activity within a 40 km radius
- Provides distance to the head of the storm down to 1 km in 14 steps
- Intelligent algorithm provides for false disturber rejection
- Detects both cloud-to-ground and intra-cloud (cloud-to-cloud) flashes
- Antenna auto tuning
- Selectable power modes
- SPI communication interface
- Uses a 3.3V or 5V power supply
- Supported by all mikroElektronika compilers
IC/Module: AS3935 Lightning Sensor
AS3935, a lightning sensor IC, is designed for low-power, portable or fixed wire-line applications. It utilizes a sensitive RF receiver and integrated proprietary algorithm. This lightning sensor is designed for sensing the presence and proximity of potentially harmful lightning activity in the surrounding area. .
MA5532-AE Coil Antenna
Intended for antenna applications at 500 kHz to 2 MHz, MA5532-AE is designed to put up with harsh mechanical environments. The plastic base assures durability and brilliant mechanical shock resistance.
Thunder click allows user to choose a 3.3V or 5V power supply, which is selectable by a zero-ohm J1 SMD jumper. By default, it is soldered in 3.3V position.
- Thunder Click Board (1)
- 1x8 male headers (2)
- Printed User Manual and Board Schematic (1)